Thursday, April 01, 2010

My Secret Weapons

Every mom probably has her list of "can't do withouts" and this mom is no exception. I've been thinking lately about my list of essentials that have made parenting a little more manageable.

1.
BabyBjorn Babysitter Balance

From the first day home from the hospital, Ryan has spent a considerable amount of time in this thing. He used to sleep in it, when he slept practically all the time. Now he sits in it when he watches videos. It has 3 different inclines and bounces with the help of your foot. A little pricey, but the best piece of baby gear we purchased.

2. BabyGenius Favorite Nursery Rhymes DVD

BabyEinstein, move over. You have nothing on this DVD. I have proof-- Ryan gets bored with BabyEinstein, but once I turn on these tunes, he is entertained for 30 minutes-- or longer if I let it repeat. It's just enough time for me to shower and get ready for the day. I know this might be short-lived once he is mobile enough to move while watching his DVD from his bouncer (See #1) -- but for now it's a lifesaver. Bonus: If we start singing any annoying song from the DVD he quiets and smiles. . . he knows his stuff.

3. Diapers.com

Ok, this is a web site, and not an actual thing, but Diapers.com has saved me many times. They have so much more than just diapers, their prices are cheap (comparable to Sams or Costco) and the selling point is that if you order more than $50 you get free, overnight delivery. It really can't get any better than that.

4. Plum Baby Food

It may be a little pricier than Gerber (unless you get it on sale from Diapers.com like I did) but this stuff is da bomb. Organic, great-tasting, blah blah blah. But the best part is it is squeezable. Feeding while eating out is so easy.

5. Fels-Naptha

I can't take much credit for this because my friend Melissa blogged about its merits many months ago, and the grocery store lady says this has been around forever, but this stuff is the only thing that works in getting out those nasty baby poop stains. I wish I knew about this 8 months ago. I am seriously considering adding this to every baby shower gift I give from now until eternity. Warning: It has a very strong "soap" smell, so keep in a plastic baggie and away from anything you don't want tasting like soap.

What are your secret weapons (baby or otherwise)?

6 comments:

The Yoder's Five said...

WOOO for Fels-Naptha!! So glad you tried it out. It's seriously a lifesaver. (I agree about the smell, though.)

If I ever figure out what fruits/veggies Luke will eat, I'll have to try out that Plum baby food. Thanks for the tip!

Kristan said...

It's funny because I almost texted you the other day to ask you what your favorite baby things are since I seem to be buying gifts all the time these days.

And I remember my mom aways using Fels-Naptha growing up! She still swears by it.

Allison Stromberg said...

ryan is so tiny in that first pic! i didn't even think it was him

Jenn and Mike said...

Totally enjoyed this post... now I am going to diapers.com!

Carrie Merino said...

Earplugs?!!

Sara said...

Fels Naptha is FANTASTIC!