While Jon and I were waiting for our Maggiano's take out last night, we stopped in a bookstore to look for a book. Jon's mom has been telling Jon almost weekly that I need to read Austenland by Shannon Hale. I had just finished Breaking Dawn on the metro ride home (OMG!!!), I wanted to pick up this book. It took all of 30 seconds after we had purchased the book and walked out of the bookstore for me to flip to the end of book to read the last page.
Jon was appalled. He couldn't believe that I would "ruin" the whole book by reading the ending. It's pretty standard practice for me though. I usually read the end of the book a long while before I even get close to the end. Sometimes I hold out, but that's a rare occasion. If I hold out it usually means I'm not that invested in the book anyway and don't really care how it ends. I think I do this because I don't like surprises, and reading the end somehow makes the rest of the book better for me-- or at least that is what I tell myself.
Does anyone else do this? Do I stand alone in wanting to know how the book ends before I have even begun?
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I did that for one book and it totaly ruined it for me, so now I cant do it again. was break dawn good? i still havent fineshed twilight.
I'm with Jon. I can't believe you do that!
I always read the end. And I think it makes reading the book more fun because then I'm not stressed about what is going to happen. I think reading the end is the only way to read! But I don't really like surprises either.
I ALWAYS read the end of the book first. I stresses me out too much not to. I have to make sure everything is going to be okay. I have done this with the whole Twilight series. I haven't read the last book yet, but you can count on me doing it with that one too. Jonathan thinks it is terrible that I do it too, but I just can't help it.
Do you watch the last 10 min. of movies too?
I do this quite a bit and it disturbs members of my book club. I have to agree with some of the above sentiments - it helps me enjoy the book more when I know. Otherwise I skim-read just to get to the end.
And with series such as Harry Potter and Twilight, I have been known to look up the plot on the internet before I even have the book!
I don't think I would ever finish a book if I read the end!
I can't read the end until i get there. Sometimes I find myself reading ahead on the page I'm on, but I have the whole book. Are you still going to read Austenland? I really liked it.
I once read the first paragraph of every chapter in a text book for school. it worked pretty well.
I prefer to read the first chapter, then skim through until I get to the end. I have found that I miss alot, by just reading the last few pages. It's a science actually.
Post a Comment