There are several kinds of mothers in the world. There are those who work full-time, part-time or not at all. And by "work" I mean, they work for an employer who gives them a paycheck and they report to bosses and have those annoying yearly reviews. Because we all know that having a child is a whole different kind of work. Regardless of the work situation, all* mothers are hopelessly devoted to their children.
I worked full time for nearly five years while Jon and I prayed for a little one to enter our lives. I grew in my responsibility, job title, salary and over time, I became very comfortable with myself as a working woman. I was blessed to be in that kind of environment.
And then he came.

And while I had always kinda seen myself as working-type of mother, once I met this cute little man, I knew there was no way I could sit in an office 40 hours a week. I proposed a part-time schedule and was rejected. So, beginning November 20, I will officially be a stay-at-home mom.
It's better this way. Because even though I wanted to be a part-time employee, I will always be a full-time, hopelessly devoted, mom.
*Except those sad mothers that we see sometimes in the news.
13 comments:
congrats to you! Its a whole new chapter in your life. I dont blame you for not wanting to leave that little guy!! he's so cute!
Good for you! Cute pictures!
Congrats on the new phase! He's such an adorable thing!
Welcome to the club! After I got laid off, I felt a bit sad b/c I worked for so long. Now I love it, I love being able to do whatever I want to do. You will love it, there is nothing better!
All I can say is "I AM SO JEALOUS!"
My maternity leave ended last week. Pebbles is (now) 9 weeks old. It wasn't quite as devestating as when I left Woodstock at 6 weeks old to return to work 2 years ago, but almost.
I want to be a SAHM more than anything in the world - except living in a cardboard box, which is where we'd be if I quit. So, for the next two years or so, I'll keep slogging along.
Lauren,
I know that can be such a difficult decision. You'll have those days where you wish you'd be back at work but I think, overall, you'll love your life as a full time mother more than anything. I went back to work full time when Rebecca was 3 months old & it worked out. I've had to make that hard decision over & over during the years since child #1 & I will tell you that even though the rewards are different, there are rewards. You will ALWAYS be able to go back to work. You will NEVER get this time with your baby back. I also know we get extra "help" if we have to work. I remember some wise words of Pres Faust in that there is a time & season for everything...now is your time & season to be home with your babe...the new opportunities will be awesome as time goes on. Good luck! I know you will do just wonderful & really love this new chapter. Thinking of you...
Carrie:)
yeah! now we can hang out more with our babies.
Congrats. You will soon see it really is the best gig in the world.
I had been wondering what your work situation was...that must have been a hard decision for you. But I know I wouldn't want someone else snuggling with my baby all day while I missed out.
Ryan has the cutest chunky thighs! I want to just squeeze the little guy!
November 20 is the best day ever! Love ya guys!
Well congratulations! I worked full time for the 1st year Taj was born & missed him more than I realized I would so I was able to work it down to part time for another year, but when I got pregnant with number 2 it was all over. Honestly part time was rough too because I always felt divided. Work wanted all of me, but so did motherhood. When I quit, it took a little adjustment to not feel "important" in the world outside of the house, but now I love kissing on my babies all day long. So cheers to a new way of life for you!
He smiles! What a lovely pic of you two.
Lauren,
If you are interested in a work from home option, please check out the following opportunity with Sodexo; where I have worked since I left NCQA. I hope you'll consider it:
Sr. Communications Manager - Talent Acquisition
Remote/Virtual Position (Click here to view details and apply online – all candidates must apply through the Sodexo Career Center)
The Sr. Communications Manager will assist in managing and coordinating internal and external communications for Sodexo’s Talent Acquisition Group. In this role he/she will work closely with the department leadership team to develop communication strategies and initiatives designed to attract talent to Sodexo and ensure our internal customers are kept informed on key talent-related activities and processes.
Contact Jennifer Hurst, Senior Recruiter at jennifer.hurst@sodexo.com or 301.987.4181 with any questions
John Friedman
Senior Director, Public Relations
Sodexo
Post a Comment