Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The K Key

I'm a pretty lax mom. I haven't child-proofed our home (except for electrical outlets). I let Ryan pull all the books off the shelf, DVDs out of his bin and suck on all types of ointment tubes (closed of course) for entertainment. Maybe it's because he didn't crawl/scoot for so long, or just because there aren't many places for him to explore in our apartment. He does know the word "no" and when it's spoken, he will stop, look and smile, and usually resume what he is doing unless the said "no" is accompanied by relocation to a new venue.

But, now he is on the move, and everything is changing. The little tyke is thisclose to walking, which is exactly what we thought about crawling months and months ago (is he crawling now? kinda, sorta, but hates it. butt scooting is a much more effective mode of transportation.) He pulls up on furniture and walks around it while holding tightly. And he has become quite a little mimic. Because you see, he observes his parents clacking away on our laptops all the live-long day. And he wants to do the exact same thing.

Which brings me to the k key. He's a smart little cookie and has been working on his novel on my laptop. I've learned to quickly open Word when he makes his way over in an effort to avoid any file deletion, unwanted facebook status updates or worse on his behalf. He is quite proficient at inserting symbols, footnotes and other odd macros in Word. But now that he is so comfortable typing away, he is a little more aggressive and happened to pop off the k key yesterday. And I can't get it back on (a trip to the Apple store is on the "to do" list.)




So, for now I can't even open my computer around him or he will want on. And forget about a toddler version of a laptop. He knows the difference. Someday he might end up writing the next Great American Novel. For now however, his toys are going to be limited to the bright red plastic, noisy, on-a-rope variety.

4 comments:

The Yoder's Five said...

Haha....ohhh I know exactly how you feel. Luke comes and grabs the mouse, presses buttons on the keyboard and pushes the power button while we're on the computer. I just bought Mark a new keyboard today and I'm hoping Luke will just play with the old one. Things sure change once they're mobile!!

Amanda said...

eh- that letter is overrated. it's not even in that many words. see? i wrote this entire comments without using it even once. you'll be fine ;)

Lauren F. said...

It's overrated unless it is 1/4 of your last name. . . :)

Chris said...

Take the K out of you're last name and you're left with FUN! Not a bad alternative.