Sunday, September 02, 2007

The Joy of Audio Tours

Jon and I drove up to Gettysburg, PA. yesterday. Since he has to work tomorrow, on Labor Day, we wanted to at least get out of the house on Saturday. So we treked up there (it was only an hour and a half) and saw Gettysburg.

We were "super-nerds" this time around and bought the audio CD tour. And on top of that, not only did we buy the cd for the tour, but we have cd-rom to use at home, where just today, we learned all about how to load a cannon (actually, pretty interesting), and other stuff that I ignored. Yes, you pay extra for that sort of entertainment! The driving tour was only supposed to be 2 hours, but I think that is for people who don't get out of their car. Which we did. A lot.

Jon really loves battlefields. They are growing on me. I like the scenery and the ambience and sometimes I pay attention to the actual story or the battle itself. But this time, I was actually engrossed. Maybe engrossed is too strong of a word. I paid attention. The first picture is at Devil's Den. It's a big rock formation that kinda reminded us of the rocks out west. The second picture, is, uh, Confederate soldiers. Or reinactors. One of the two. I guess it was a big weeked with the reinactors. I really wanted a picture with one of them, but never got up the nerve. We didn't see one Union soldier though. We were above the Mason-Dixon line, but not by much. Jon reminds me that we did see a whole encampment of Union soldiers somewhere, but they weren't very exciting.

And the last picture is the view of Little Round Top from Devil's Den. You'll just have to look up the actual battle to figure out what happened here. Or borrow our cd.

In other Funk news, I start school on Tuesday. I'm starting a master's program at Johns Hopkins- for my MA in Communications. I'll still be working full time, while taking 2 classes. This is my first time working and going to school at the same time, so wish me luck!

Happy Labor Day! Don't work too hard!
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Leandra said...

So did Jon dress up for the battlefields? I'd like to see that. . .

Lauren F. said...

No, he didn't dress up, but I think he was tempted. Actually, I can totally see him being a reinactor when he retires. . .

Chris said...

you are both nerds.

Amanda said...

really though... he has no room to talk- he walked around the st. louis history museum for ten minutes looking for the audio tour for the worlds fair display :) he would like to point out that we didn't buy it to take home, however. either way, i think it's safe to say that you & jon are perfect for each other! haha. glad to hear you both are doing well :) xoxo

Lauren F. said...

I have to say that if we could have just rented the audio/car tour, we would have done that, but because it is a cd for your car, you have to actually buy one. To keep.

Don't worry, you can borrow it when you come out here. . .

Amanda said...

we just might take you up on that :) i know it's a long way off... but i want to come visit you guys when we're on our way back from russia next summer...
and don't lie... i know you would have bought it anyway :) haha

Anonymous said...

i have to admit im a little jealous about all this talk of audiotours. but shh. dont tell anyone. it could ruin my repuation.
ahaha love u all!

Amanda Wilson said...

This is Amanda Wilson...I just wanted to say that going to school and working is tough, but you can totally do it. It is possible and you will be a stronger person for doing it. It looks like you guys had a fun trip. I think your next trip should be to Des Moines...

Amanda said...

you are sooo not allowed to be on my case about not updating when you haven't done it lately either! haha. must catch a few cute pictures of lola and a spare minute and it'll be done :) promise!

The Maddens said...

Hey! Where is the new Blog that I was expecting? You didn't think that I would remember your blog addy did you? Well I did and now that I know you (Lauren) I feel that I can actually comment on your blog. Cause I know that Jon doesn't do anything on this at all. Maybe check it to make sure you're not telling any secrets about him. It was good to meet you this last weekend. And Tell Jon that it was really good talking with him. Next time you guys go to Oregon let us know, maybe we'll be there. Bethany said that she would love to hang out with you guys. And I said that I would love to just hang out with Jon. Just kidding. Thought you got enough of my teasing didn't you? When really, "Its only just begun" (in my best singing voice)

The Maddens said...

Another day without seeing a new update about your trip to Oregon. I want to see pictures of the corn maze and bowling and the reunion. So I can steal a couple pictures for my blog. We parked too far away to go back and get our camera.

Dave