Thursday, January 31, 2008

Is Life Really Like This?!



My 9-year old niece, Ashley, got this game, Life Twists & Turns, for Christmas. It's the same basic idea as the original Life game, but you can choose to start on 1 of 4 life paths: education, career, family or fun, or something like that. You rack up money and life points as you go, get married, have kids, earn a degree, whatever. The best part is that you use fake debit cards and a machine that keeps track of everything, it even rolls for you. We played it a few times in St. Louis with and without Ashley and then when we got back to D.C. we had to get it.
But there are a few weird things about this game that supposedly is teaching our youth about what life is really about:

1. You don't get enough points for going to school and getting a degree. If you start on the education path, you have to pay $20,000 right off the bat to pay for a bachelor's degree. Your degree only moves you up one step on the career ladder, so that's like from $5,000 to $15,000 a year. I think we should give a degree a little more credit. This is actually Jon's pet peeve on this game. He think's it discourages kids from going to college. You actually make more money by choosing a career that requires no schooling.

2. At the start of the game, you can choose a career card. They range from acting, entreprenuerial, sports star, or miscellaneous, where you can jump from nanny to car wash owner. For the careers that don't require a degree you can move up a lot faster than those with a degree.
Jon and I just played and he beat me, even though I had two kids and he had none. He won by ending up with like $5,000,000 to my $3,000,000. Go figure. Money wins everytime in this game.

4 comments:

Leandra said...

Don't you worry. I most definitely bought this game with the giftcard from you. We'll have compete in ST. Louis.

P.S. I know, you don't get enough money for schooling. Ashley goes to school and get's her PhD every single time, and has always lost against Carter, who is an NBA player who just goes around the Green section the whole time.

Anonymous said...

ha, its alright. ashley cheats and hides the cards and enters the wrong amount. its alright. haha. i always lost no matter what.

Carter said...

Yeah, I'm always either the Sports Star, or miscellaneous (where I end up being a Televangelist). It's the best way to go. Too bad you can't do that in real life. . .

Jen said...

OK guys, I always win when Ashley and I play. If she cheats, then she learns from her aunts and uncles, haha. Plus she gets 100% on all her tests on school so she most definitely does not cheat. And EVEN if she did... she is too cute and can get away with it.

jen