Sunday, February 10, 2008

How Patriotic Should I Be?

Another Update: 7:3oish, Tuesday, Feb. 12 - Ah, the irony. The combination of freezing rain, polls closing at 7 and the regular evening rush hour, it took Jon and me two and half hours to get home. 30 min. in the Metro parking lot. So, we did not get to vote. But we tried. . .

Update: 5:09 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12- Jon and I are leaving work 2 hours early (yes, we work late. . .) to go vote. Cross your fingers we make it in time.

It’s funny. Since we have been on the East Coast, my political views have swayed a little more liberal although I am still the daughter of an intensely Republican mother. I’m proud to say that I tend to vote for the man, woman, bond issue, not for the political party. Weird, since we live in the town of politics. It does make voting a little more involved, which it should be. I guess anytime we don’t actually look at the issues or the person on the ballot and study their platform and history, we have done ourselves a disservice. However anyone votes, they should always cast their vote with their eyes wide open and be behind whomever they are casting their vote for. Now, I know it’s impossible to be 100% behind all of our voting choices. There will never be a perfect candidate. But we do the best we can.

That’s why I’m not voting on Tuesday. One party that I am most likely inclined towards is all but official, and for the other, I don’t feel prepared to cast my vote. Should I make a “statement vote” like the 653 people in Kansas that voted for Romney even though he’s out of the race? Is that worth my gas money to the polling place? Do I vote for someone that has a chance but I don’t feel I know enough about?

Feel free to try to get me to change my mind. You have until 7:00 a.m. ET Tuesday morning.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

There are 2 questions that I would like answered. First, is casting an uneducated vote better than not voting at all? And second, how do you know when you've received enough information to call your vote an educated and well-informed vote? I'm starting to think that once you can find fault in all the candidates, you can consider yourself eductated.

Haley said...

I say vote. You are probably more informed than 50% of the people out there who are blindly voting based on sex/race/religion. Even if you choose to write in a name, at least you're making a choice. Voting is a right we have and to be cliche "use it or lose it." I guess the question you could ask yourself is "Is my voice worth being heard?" And if you do vote, you can proudly wear that little sticker they give you that says "I voted!"

Joan said...

I'm for the gay liberatarian party. You should vote for them, its all fun and games. Yeah!j

kopie

Stephanie R. said...

In the last presidential election I didn't like either of the candidates but I still voted. If anything, I feel that voting gave me the right to complain about politics. There is nothing I dislike more than listening to people complain about their elected leaders, when they don't even go out and vote.

Harley King said...

If I asked real nice would you vote for me?

Kelsey and Andy said...

Hey Funks! Andy and I are excited to see your blog- it is always fun to stay updated on everyone!

Anonymous said...

People still voted for Romney even though he was out of the race? This I did not know!

Sounds like we all had long commutes home recently. Ciao!

Meredith said...

Oh. My. Gosh. This is Lani's friend from high school from freshman year at BYU, Meredith. If you don't remember me, ask Lani. We did Kwisty Pawkew on James. If you do remember me, how's it goin, love your blog, this is my family's: www.fabeatons.blogspot.com.

Meredith said...

Oh. My. Gosh. This is Lani's friend from high school from freshman year at BYU, Meredith. If you don't remember me, ask Lani. We did Kwisty Pawkew on James. If you do remember me, how's it goin, love your blog, this is my family's: www.fabeatons.blogspot.com.

Jen said...

In the michigan primary, Mike actually wrote in "george bush" when he went to vote. And he still doesnt understand why i think he's so immature to get married?!