So Sunday afternoon, after church, we decided to watch Mansfield Park. Jon wanted to see it because it has the guy who plays Eli Stone in that tv show. And I just wanted a happy ending movie. We have that movie on VHS, so we set up our VCR and turned it on. It made some weird sounds for a while and then just died. The tape wouldn't eject. We played with it for a while, but to no avail. It was dead.
At this point, I was starting to get a little emotional. Jon said I was tearing up... don't believe him. But it looked like our options were to get a new or used VCR and somehow get Mansfield Park out of the dead one. New VCRs looked kinda pricey, and I didn't really want to shell out $$ for a VCR. That would be very 1990. But I have 70+ VHS tapes that I have accumulated over the years and I am not quite committed to buying DVDs to replace them. Somehow, movies like Clueless and Ever After feel more nostalgic on VHS. So I was sad.
And then I left to go visit with a girl from church. I poured out my sorrows to her and was completely shocked when she told me that she has an old VCR that still works in a closet and she would be more than happy to give it to us. I arrived home giddy and ready to extract that VHS from the bad VCR. 
Long Live the VCR.

11 comments:
Ive never heard of someone getting emotional over a vhs...dont you know its 2008? jk. i love ya! cant wait to see u next week
Out of control! But I love it.
1. I can't believe you still have 70+ VHS tapes
2. I can't believe you actually still want to watch a VHS
3. I can't believe you did the research necessary to determine what it would cost to buy a new VCR
4. Do you remember the first time I ever watched Mansfield Park in London :)
what is this "VCR" you speak of? no but seriously, what is wrong with you? 70 VHS tapes? it's time to say goodbye to the 80's Lauren.
We still use are VCR all the time too!!! Everyone thinks we're insane because we don't Tivo, but we don't see any reason to not use our perfectly usable VCR. Although tivo does sound nice. Long live the 80s! Keep them strong Lauren.
where do you have room to keep 70+ video tapes?!
So this morning while I was making the bed I heard Brandon laughing out loud downstairs. I asked him what he was laughing about and he read your comment on my post out loud. The list Jon has for you when you are grumpy is the exact same list B has for me! Hilarious!
Whoa, word of the day is officially, "trifecta." I am going to try and use it in a sentence today (think "Clueless" and the word "sporadically"). haha.
ps: I am trifecta impressed that you own a white crayon!
I have been in their apartment, and I am a personal witness of their 70+ VHS tapes. I've seen them with my own eyes. I think she keeps them in giant tupperware-style plastic containers.
For sale: 70+ VHS tapes. For a low price you too can own monster hits such as "the best of chris farley", "tommy boy", "secret garden" and "never been kissed".
And no, carter, we actually own a bookcase now. the tupperware was so 2001. :)
I can't believe you still have a VCR! I guess I have a lot of VHS tapes, too... they're just all at my parents place. Glad you were able to land a free VCR!
I'm impressed about the 70 VHS's. I think I only have like 35 and 25 of them are kids shows. You've got me beat.
Post a Comment