Friday, May 02, 2008

Good Times in PR

Hey all! Sorry we didn't give a heads-up on our blog that we were going to Puerto Rico. I didn't think it was wise to announce to the world that we were leaving town before we left. But we did go to Puerto Rico, and it was fabulous.

My boss of 4 years got married in Ponce, to his now-wife that is from there. We flew down with two other people from work. For the first two days we were in Ponce. There was a rehearsal dinner on Friday night and the wedding and reception on Saturday. The wedding was a full-on Catholic wedding and it was intriguing. It was very very cool. They had a children's choir, a bell choir, and the whole Catholic mass thing with communion. The groom insisted that the service be in English. Even though he knows a little Spanish he wanted to be fully aware of what he was getting himself into.

After the service, we were shuttled to the reception in this cool old casino. Don't think Vegas, think of an old colonial Spanish building that happened to be a casino way back in the day. It's totally not a casino now. The receptions I have been to before have been dinner first, then dancing (if there is even dancing). This had dancing the whole way through. Before the bar even opened there was dancing -- and for some people, that was torture! It was great fun... dinner wasn't even served until 10 pm. We danced and watched people get drunk. It was actually a blast and we met some really great people. Did I mention it was black tie?

On Sunday Jon and I drove up to San Juan, taking a side trip to El Yunque, the only rainforest in the U.S. Forest Service. And, go figure, it rained. We were able to do a little hike to a waterfall, where I saw a bare butt of an old-ish man. That was not a highlight. We drove around a little bit more before heading into San Juan.

In San Juan, we stayed at El Convento, which is exactly what it sounds like, an old convent. It's not a convent now-- no worries. It's a really cool old hotel that is right in the middle of Old San Juan. Jon and I aren't beach people and we wanted to sightsee while we were there and not sit on a beach the whole time. So ya, the hotel was cool.

On Monday we walked around Old San Juan for a while. We saw two forts, ran into my boss's boss twice, and just walked around taking in the sights. And getting sunburned. We did bring sunscreen and we did apply it Monday morning. But I just did my face and Jon did his arms and face, but missed a whole strip on his arms, and neither of us did our legs. It was good that we went back to our room early afternoon and noticed our burn or I think our skin would have melted off. We are both still red and it is still a little painful. Maybe it will turn into a tan?

So, that is the trip report. It was wedding 2 out of 3 for April/May. We have another one coming up in Telluride, Colorado in May. Should I tell you when it is. . .

4 comments:

Amanda Wilson said...

Looks like you had a great time! It looks beautiful. I am jealous. You are a great photographer!

Amanda said...

i want pictures of you in your black tie getup!

Leandra said...

Looks like fun! We are jealous of you two-- world travelers and all!

Anonymous said...

The bride is beautiful! She's got a great dress, too.