Sunday, May 11, 2008

Trash Men

I met Jon downtown on Saturday after a conference he had to go to for work. After taking the Metro back and forth a few stops for a bit while we were trying to decide where to go, we ended up at the National Geographic Museum. It's a small museum, which was a perfect fit for us on Saturday. They had a cool frog exhibit, a photography exhibit on China and this art installment in their courtyard.

It's an exhibit by a German artist HA Shult made out of trash collected by a dump in Cologne, Germany. It's pretty old trash too, as evident by the ancient tv and soda cans in the mix. It was pretty cool to stare at these guys though and think of all of the trash that we throw away that could be reused or recycled.

I have pretty green thumb nowadays recycling-wise. Jon likes to make fun of me because he is the one from Oregon that used to try to get me to recycle. I just figure we need to be good stewards of the earth and do our part to make the earth a better place. (I will get off my soapbox now.)

After the exhibit leaves D.C. it will go to New York City and Antartica. No idea why the chose Antartica. It's not like anyone will go see it. . .

8 comments:

Amanda Wilson said...

How fun and interesting! But, seriously....why Antartica? Can anyone live there? Maybe the exhibit is just going there to preserve it...

Chris said...

that is gross. it looks like soda cans held together with peanut butter. and yeah, who are they showing it to in antartica?

Joan said...

Amen to recycling!

Unknown said...

I always thought "having a green thumb" meant you were good at gardening. Maybe we should create a new term for 'obsessive- compulsive recycler', which is how I would describe Lauren lately, that doesn't have such a negative connotation. What about green fan (short for fanatic) or super steward? I left out green freak since I thought that wasn't an improvement. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

yay for recycling! a girl after my own heart... :)

can't believe I'm just now finding out about shade. I forsee it being very addicting.

Jenny said...

Thanks for posting this--that sounds like an unusual exhibit! I'm curious to get your opinion on whether this can be considered art.

The Wehrmeister's said...

Wow that's really neat. We don't get anything like that around Kansas City. You'd think they'd rather come to KC than Antartica. But apparently not.

Amander said...

I like Green Fan or Green Freak. Either way, good job on the recycling!

That actually looks like such a fun exhibit!