Sunday, June 29, 2008

Blast from the Past


I went to Youth Conference this week. I was asked to be a group leader, which basically meant that I got to hang with the kids for a few days. It was totally a deju-vu moment. Teenagers are still the same. . . I got there on Thursday morning at 7 a.m. and the girls were scoping out the guys, and the guys were scoping out the girls. I thought it was pretty funny.

It was a 4 stake youth conference, so I was trying to remember my past youth conferences. I only remember bits and pieces of them. (Maybe that's why they say journals are a good idea!) I remember going to Nauvoo, having a dance or two and spreading dirt on a field as the service project. We probably did something spiritual in there, but all I remember is dance and dirt. I also remember one where we hiked in the woods in the dark for a while and they didn't let us eat. Was that the one that got rained out? Oh, and we did one with the stake in St. Charles right? See, I really think I am losing my mind, or I just have a selective memory. All of you who went with me will need to remind me of what we did . . . wow, that's sad.

Anyway, youth conference was fun. My kids were mostly good. About a quarter of them never really hung out with the group, but who could blame them? I would probably be more interested in hanging out with my friends and other boys than my group. I tried to keep them entertained, but, man, teenagers are tough. I must have been a much better teenager than that. I was probably a brown-noser at youth conferences. No rebellion here.

Overall, it was a great experience and I probably got more out of it as an adult than I would have as a teenager.

4 comments:

Harley King said...

Oh, the acne!

Oh, the hormones!

Oh, the flirting!

You could not pay me enough to live those years over again.

As far as I'm concerned, I was born a 25 year-old man.

Unknown said...

I think the teenage stuff rubbed off a little on Lauren too. She came home and asked me if I wanted to 'go out' with her. I responded, "Sure, whatever." And then we didn't talk or make eye contact for the rest of the night. Creepy.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amanda Wilson said...

I remember that youth conference where we had to hike all night and not eat. That was terrible. We also had to set up our own tents and sleep in them (I was and am still not in to that). Then it rained the whole time and all of our stuff got wet and we ended up getting flooded out the next night. I do have a cute picture of us with bandana's on our heads to cover up our greasy hair from not being able to shower... yeah, I remember that youth conference all too well.